June 2018 Writer’s Life: Great (full) month back at it! [#yearofwriting]
Please subscribe to my newsletter: Self-Care For Writers.
Well, I finally had a month that went pretty well! My writing goal since the beginning of the year was to make $5,000 a month and I FINALLY did it. I’m really excited about this, to be honest, because the past couple of months were difficult. I had shoulder surgery in April and May was difficult because I just couldn’t be 100% back to work… So June going really well has been very, very encouraging. Want to know how much I made and what I wrote? Here’s what happened:
How much I made: $5846
A good chunk of my earnings came from my regular job as the part-time News Editor at 21Ninety, and that was great. I also made a nice chunk of money at HipLatina and mitú, where I recently started writing as a regular contributor (yay!). I also was writing for Romper, but decided to not continue due to some time constraints. And finally, my freelance pieces for VICE, Greatist, and Bumble made up the rest.
It was a pretty good month, to be honest, and a nice balance between regular work and a few freelance pieces. I’m coming to a good balance with what I am doing and pretty happy with that, to be honest. It’s sometimes still a struggle, especially when I travel (as I did during the 2nd week of June), but generally pretty good. Here’s hoping I can keep up my over $5k number next month.
I also wanted to quickly tally up how much I made during the first six months of the year… And that magic number is: $25,702. Unfortunately, my earnings by this point in the year should have been $30,000, which means that I am $4298 behind and need to make an extra $716 per month in order to reach my ultimate goal by the end of the year. I did it think month, so can I pull it off again? I hope so!
What was published:
- ‘Coming to America’ Was the Immigrant Story My Family Needed [VICE]
- When Unhealthy Food Is Part of Your Culture, How Do You Lose Weight? [Greatist]
- When Should You Tell Your Date That You’re Bisexual? [Bumble]
- This Mental Illness Necklace Inspired Me to Openly Talk About My Anxiety [HipLatina]
- Why We Need to Stop Glamorizing This Scandinavian Trend [HipLatina]
- The Importance of Taking a Mental Health Day [HipLatina]
- 14 Father-Daughter Movies From The ’90s To Watch This Father’s Day 2018 To Bond With Dad [Romper]
- The Best Subscription Boxes For Father’s Day 2018 Are At Cratejoy’s Holiday Sale RN [Romper]
- 8 Father’s Day 2018 Poems From Loving Sons Across History That Are Perfect To Share With Your Dad [Romper]
- 7 Father’s Day 2018 Poems From Daughters To Share With Your Dad, To Tug At His Heartstrings [Romper]
- 7 Best Kiddie Pools For Dogs To Keep Your Pup Cool And Happy All Summer Long [Romper]
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Immigration & Family Separation That’s Happening At The Border [Romper]
- 7 Seemingly Harmless Jokes That Actually Hurt Your Partner’s Feelings [Romper]
mitú/Fierce by mitú:
- What My Nameplate Necklace Means To Me
- My Small Cuban Family Contrasts With Latino Stereotypes Which Has Often Made Me Question My Latinidad
- Demi Lovato Admits To Relapse In ‘Sober’ Music Video — And She’s Still My Hero
- 20 Things to Know About Tony Award Winner Lindsay Mendez
- From Sloppy Joes To Tomatoes, Here Are 20 Foods That Latinxs Can Take Credit For
- 25 Best Menu Ideas for 4th of July That’ll Wow Any Party Guest
- 20 Best Hotels & Resorts in México For Your Next Luxe Vacation
- 20 Reasons Why Office Dogs Are Better Than Your Coworkers
- Here Are 25 Latinx Chefs Who Are Cooking Amazing Food Across The U.S.
- 20 Types of Worst First Dates We’ve All Suffered Through
- 25 Kat Von D Tattoos Explained That’ll Make You Want to Rush Out And Get Inked
- 20 Moments From ‘Pretty Woman’ All Latinas Love
- Best 20 Party Destinations in Latin America & the Caribbean
- 25 Things You Ought To Know About The Legendary Pink Taco
- These Are The 20 Struggles I’ve Noticed While Using Dating Apps
- 20 Comics That Sum Up The Realites Of Being A True Life Gato Dama