Please subscribe to my newsletter to get writing news and updates.
Last month, I finally hit my goal of making $5k a month… And I am thrilled that this month was even better. It was a difficult month, however. Despite my financial goals, I want to pause and acknowledge that financial success doesn’t necessarily mean that things are going fantastically well. To be honest, it has been a bit of a struggle lately. I’ve had anxiety come up more than once due to stress outside of work (my husband and I bought a house, AHH!) and it’s been a struggle. I’m really grateful for the work that I have, and that my husband is such a great support system. And now, here’s what happened…
How much I made: $6377
This month was pretty high, to be hones, partially because I had 3 invoice periods for 21Ninety (usually it’s just two a month), so that helped to elevate me higher than normal. However, I also did some writing for VICE (not published yet) and for a not-yet-launched website. I also did my regular mitú work, which you will see plenty of as well.
The most exciting thing I did this month, though, was my work at the end of the month. When news of Demi Lovato’s relapse broke last week, I jumped at the chance to write about it because she’s kind of my recovery hero and I had a LOT to say about her. And so, I turned my passion about the subject of recovery (and relapse) into three different pieces: One for Marie Claire (a dream publication!), one for HuffPost, and another for INSIDE.
To be honest, it was a crazy, stressful week with this news and all of the work I put into it. I was emotionally exhausted and it was difficult pushing myself to put out this content on top of all the regular work I am doing. However, it was also thrilling. I told Adam several times how much I loved last week because it’s precisely doing that kind of work (being able to jump on the news with something personal that means a lot to you) that is thrilling as a freelance writer. If I was on staff somewhere, I wouldn’t have been able to do this. And so, even though being a full-time freelancer isn’t always easy or great, weeks like last week (even with their stress), make it all worthwhile.
What was published:
- Like Demi Lovato, I Relapsed. This Is What I Wish I’d Known. [Marie Claire]
- This Is What No One Tells You About Relapsing (Like Demi Lovato And Me) [HuffPost]
- The Conversation Around Demi Lovato’s Relapse Shows Why The Social Stigma Of Addiction Needs To End [INSIDER]
mitú/Fierce by mitú:
- 20 Plantain Recipes You Didn’t Know You Needed
- 25 Most Instagrammable Spots in Latin America
- 23 Reasons Why Being Single Is *TOTALLY* Amazing
- 21 Animals You Should Be Following on Instagram (Beyond Cute Cats & Dogs)
- These Stunning Photos Come From Actual Places In Latin America That Are Totally Easy To Visit This Summer
- 20 Non-Alcoholic Cocktails to Enjoy This Summer
- 22 Things I Wish I Could Say To My Quince-Year-Old Self
- 22 Things Mi Madre Never Told Me About Getting Married That I Wish I’d Known When I Was Single
- 24 Honeymoon Destinations In Latin America That Are So Stunning You’ll Forget to Instagram
- 21 Cheap Everyday Recipes For When You’re Broke AF But Want to Eat Like a Queen
- 22 Amazing Airbnb Listings For Your Next Trip to Latin America
- I Went To Rehab To Address My Addiction And Walked Out With The Lesson That I Was Drinking To Alleviate My Anxiety
- Latina Instagram Stars Are Embracing Body Positivity By Sharing Their Favorite Foods From Their Cocinas
- The 22 Best 90s Latin Songs You’ll Want to Karaoke To
- Here’s How I Learned To Adapt To Being Vegetarian Despite Living In A Family That Craves Carne
- 25 Things I’ve Learned Since Entering Recovery From Addiction
- 30 Ways I’ve Changed My Hair By Age 30 — And What I Learned
- I Made One Pretty Big Mistake In My Twenties That I Wish My Mama Could Have Warned Me About
- The 20 Most Instagrammable Wall Murals To Get Your Selfie Fix On During Your Next Visit To Los Angeles