Please subscribe to my newsletter: Self-Care For Writers.
Well, where should I start with my April blog post? Let’s see… Oh right! I had a major thing happen this month: I finally got shoulder surgery after my 15th dislocation last fall. That’s right, since I turned 18 years old, I have dislocated my shoulder a whopping 15 times and it is FINALLY fixed.
Well, sort of. It’s not really as simple as all of that. I had to get a pretty intensive surgery that means many, many months of physical therapy and recovery. So far, two and a half weeks out, I am doing okay. I am making slow but steady progress in therapy and healing steadily. It’s not easy, but it’s happening. Of course, with surgery came a few work-related complications. Primarily, I didn’t work the entire week after my surgery and I was barely able to accomplish anything the week after that. So what has that all meant? A decrease in my income, as you can imagine.
How much I made: $2816
Last month, I did pretty well! This month, though… not so much. Part of that is because I only worked, like, two and a half weeks this month. So I can’t exactly be mad about it. It happens and I’ve been trying to deal with it as best I can. In fact, my therapist keeps reminding me weekly that I need to focus on healing right now.
Other than that, though, I do have pretty good news! This month I also started my new gig as the News Editor at 21Ninety and I am SUPER excited about it. It’s a wonderful site, from the creators of Blavity, that focuses on beauty, wellness and health content for women of color and I am thrilled to be a part of it. So, without further ado, here’s what I wrote and was published this month — including, of course, my first piece for 21Ninety!
What was published:
- This bride’s cold feet had nothing to do with her fiancé. It had to do with her feminism. [Upworthy]
- Janelle Monáe Comes Out As Pansexual; Here’s What You Need To Know [21Ninety]
- 8 Beginner Sex Toys Perfect For The Single Gal
- 7 Latinas on How Going To the Gym Made Them Love Their Bodies
- 7 Things To Do, See & Eat in New Orleans (That’s Not Just Bourbon Street)
- Is ‘Zombieing’ The New Ghosting? What to Know About This Dating Trend
- Why Is No One Talking About The Tragedy Of Visiting Cuba?
- National Empanada Day: 12 Easy Recipes You’ll Want to Cook Up
- Junot Díaz Recommends The Top 18 Books To Read Right Now
- How To Know If You’re in A Healthy Relationship
- The 10 Best Places To Go With Your Girlfriends This Year
- America Ferrera Called Not “Latina Enough” on ‘Superstore’ And It’s Such BS
- 8 Must-Do Things in Amsterdam That Aren’t the Red Light District
- Why It’s Important To Go To Therapy As A Latina
- 10 Latin Grilled Cheese Recipes for a Melty, Cheesy Dinner
- 15 Ways to De-Stress Beyond Meditation & Yoga
- Why Being a White-Presenting Latina Makes Me Feel Guilty
- 6 Latina Beauty Stereotypes I’ve Embraced
- 8 Earth Day Foodie Finds For The Eco-Friendly Chica
- 12 Signs Your Drinking Might Be Going Too Far
- 10 Reasons Why Your Vagina Might Be Dry