Please subscribe to my newsletter: Self-Care For Writers.
Well, last month I had some big and annoying news to share: That I was let go from my editor job at Brit+Co and had some adjustments to make. I didn’t make nearly as much money as I had been making before, and having your income drop pretty significantly is always a bummer.
However, I’m happy to report that I am back on the uptick this month. My new gig at Oxygen is going well and I am still writing a ton for HipLatina, which is going really well. I also took on a new social media consulting job, which I hope to do a LOT more of in the future.
How much I made: $4750
Although I’m not quite at my pre-job loss totals, I’m getting pretty darn close. I didn’t even realize that I had made this much money until I added it all up, since invoicing as a freelancer comes in small bits and chunks. Sometimes I look at a paycheck and I’m like, “oh, another $150? or $500? That’s nice…” but the truth is that it really adds up!
The other thing I want to mention is that my Oxygen writing gig is very different from things I have done in the past. I mean, I have written about news before, but it’s been quite a while. For the past several years, my career has definitely veered more towards entertainment and lifestyle. And since this is news, I am not going to share much of that writing here. It just wouldn’t be timely or relevant, but if you want to read some of it… Just search my name + Oxygen.com on Google. I’m sure you won’t regret it!
So, without further ado, here’s what I wrote this month. You’ll notice VERY little general freelancing but a ton for HipLatina, which I am very happy with. I did, however, publish one of the scariest things I’ve ever written… a personal essay for The Fix on how my ambition, anxiety, and alcoholism couldn’t get along. In fact, it’s in this piece that I admit fully what happened when my alcoholism and dream job came to a full head. It wasn’t pretty but, well, I’m in a better place now.
What was published:
- Ambition, Anxiety, And Alcoholism [The Fix]
- Results Of Stephon Clark Autopsy Reveal Police Shot Him In The Back And Sides [Oxygen]
- Why Women May Be At a Higher Risk for Food and Alcohol Addictions
- 8 Fights It’s Totally Normal For You & Your Partner to Have
- Want to Try Sex Toys for Couples? Here’s How to Get Started
- 15 Whole30-Approved Latin Recipes for Healthy Eating All Year Long
- 5 Stories of Toxic Wedding Guests And What to Do About It
- The First Trailer for ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ With Lin-Manuel Miranda Is Here and We’re Excited AF
- 6 Things to Know About Latina Businesswoman Maria Contreras-Sweet
- Maker of Selena Quintanilla Tortillas Reveals How They Did It
- Two Tejanas May Become First Latinas Elected to Congress from Lonestar State
- Cardi B Thanking Her Haters for Her Success Is Why She is a Queen
- Natalie Morales & Stephanie Beatriz Open Up About Playing Queer Latinas On TV
- Emma González Tweets Support For Students Walking Out To Protest Gun Violence
- Why Jennifer Lopez Doesn’t Want to Marry Alex Rodriguez
- This New Comic Book Shares the History of Puerto Rico — And Helps The Island, Too
- Why I’m Glad My Mom Supported My Weight Loss Surgery
- How to Run Stairs Like J.Lo For a Cardio & Strength Workout
- Cardi B Says Female Hip-Hop Artists Aren’t Included in #MeToo Movement
- 5 Tips to Find Time Alone Even When You’re Coupled Up
- Travel To These 10 Retreats in Latin America to Rekindle the Spark in Your Relationship
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Shares Stories to Remind Us of Hurricane Maria’s Aftermath 6 Months Later
- Demi Lovato Opens Up About Addiction & Experiencing Suicidal Thoughts at Age 7
- Twitter Explodes After Texas Representative Proposes National Border Control Day Instead Of César Chávez Day
- Census 2020 Will Include Citizenship Question That’s Bad News for Immigrants
- How To Meet Someone If You Are Tired Of Dating Apps
- I Committed to Bullet Journaling for a Year and I’ll Never Be the Same
- Teen Girls Are Sending Parkland Shooter Nikolas Cruz Fan Mail And Love Letters In Jail