Please subscribe to my newsletter: Self-Care For Writers.
Last month, I got some news that was less than stellar: My editor gig at Brit+Co was going away due to budgeting issues and my writing job at MamásLatinas is no longer happening either. So that’s basically two out of my three main forms of income disappearing right away. So, like, stress, right?
The stress definitely came right away. But I certainly wasn’t going to give up, so I formulated a plan, adjusted my 2018 writing goals, and blogged about what it was like to lose a freelancing job… and why, honestly, it wasn’t as bad as being fired/let go from a full-time job. This month, although I didn’t make as much money as last month, I am feeling good. Sure, I’m still figuring things out but that’s the nature of this business.
How much I made: $2600
One of the things I decided this past month is that I wanted to change up the layout of these posts. Since making more money is SUCH a huge focus for me in 2018, I decided to put that at the top and put my clips at the bottom. I still want to talk about what was written, and I will, but first thing’s first. The money I made this month came from a bit of work I did for Brit+Co and MamásLatinas still, HipLatina (my fave), and a new writing gig at Oxygen — which I am super excited for.
Anyway, it’s been a rocky start to the year… but I know that next month is going to be much better. I wrote two personal essays this month that were very important to me, so I hope those will be published in March. I also plan to do a LOT of pitching in March and even start a Pitching + Marketing Challenge with some writer friends. So, yeah, I think I’m starting to really rock this new freelance chapter!
What was published:
- Halo Top Better Watch Out! Ben & Jerry’s Releases a New Light Ice Cream [Brit+Co]
- Geometric nails are blowing up Instagram & here’s how to get them [MamásLatinas]
- 12 Things you need to know about having sex after baby [MamásLatinas]
- Missouri Governor Eric Greitens Indicted With Felony Invasion Of Privacy After Affair [Oxygen]
- Missouri Man Allegedly Kills Fiancée, Her Son, And Self, But 4-Year-Old Daughter Survives [Oxygen]
- What I Learned About Work-Life Balance After Relapsing From Alcohol Addiction Recovery [Bustle]
- What Happened When My Partner Quit Alcohol To Support My Recovery [Bustle]
- Why German Kids Are Way More Independent Than American Kids [Mom.me]
- 12 Salsa Songs That Need to Be on Your Cleaning Day Playlist
- Get Ready to Fall In Love With This Set of Selena Quintanilla Valentine’s Day Cards
- Celebrate National Pisco Sour Day With These 9 Delicious Recipes
- Why Changing My Last Name After Getting Married Is Complicated Because I’m Latina
- 17 Korean Taco Recipes to Celebrate the 2018 Winter Olympics
- 10 Totally Sexy Fantasies It’s Ok To Share With Your Sweetie
- How Can You Tell If You’re Kinky In Bed?
- There’s a Body Positive Movement to Embrace Saggy Boobs and It’s About Time!
- The Best Chocolate Recipes to Celebrate Valentin’s Day With
- 5 Latinas Talking About Their First Time
- 6 Times Cardi B Has Been Completely Unapologetic About Who She Is
- How To Have a Better ‘O’ This Year
- Gina Rodriguez Just Directed One of ‘Jane the Virgin’s Most Sex Positive Episodes
- 9 Couples Get Real About What Wedding Night Sex Is Really Like
- What Does it Mean to be a Feminist and a Wife?
- 5 Lessons from Denise Bidot on How to “Feel Sexy All the Time”
- 11 Latinx Celebs Demand Gun Control After Florida School Shooting
- Francia Raísa Opens Up About ‘Hard’ Recovery After Donating Kidney to Selena Gomez
- Try One of These Delish Cocktails for National Margarita Day
- Camila Mendes Gets Real on Why Dieting Is BS
- Latina Musician Writes Pro-DACA Song in Honor of Dreamers Everywhere
- The Avocado Proposal Is Now a Thing Proving Millennials Have No Chill
- National Tortilla Chip Day: 12 Delicious Recipes to Use Up That Bag
- The 7 Best Moments From Premio Lo Nuestro 2018
- 8 Latinx Celebrity Chefs Who Give Back
- Amara La Negra’s 9 Most Inspiring Quotes on Being an Afro-Latina
- Supreme Court Ruling Over DACA Means Good News for Dreamers — For Now
- 4 Experts Answer the Question: Should You Travel With Your Partner or Pay Off Debt?
- 6 Things We Learned About Addiction & Mental Health from Demi Lovato’s Mom