Please subscribe to my newsletter: Self-Care For Writers.
It’s the start of the year and it felt like a really exciting time when I wrote down all of my writing goals for 2018 recently. One of the things I didn’t consider at the time, though, is that I’d still like to continue doing these #yearofwriting posts because they have been a really good for me. I really enjoy keeping myself accountable with all of my work and still putting all of my clips on here. It’s very encouraging, and I hope to keep encouraging myself. So without further ado…
What was published:
- Here’s What Happened When I Went From Couch Potato to Exercising for 30 Days Straight [Brit+Co]
- Why you’ll be obsessed with tiger nails in 2018 [MamásLatinas]
- Have some ‘Fifty Shades Freed’ fun with these 12 toys [MamásLatinas]
- Trump Administration Pulls Protected Status for Salvadoran Immigrants
- This Is Why Lin-Manuel Miranda Thinks it’s So Important for Latinos to Be Politically Active
- Latina Fitness Pro Massy Arias Reveals How She Used Fitness to Battle Her Depression
- Amara La Negra Reveals How Her Mom Helped Her Embrace Her Blackness
- Bella Thorne Angers Internet With Careless Mudslide Tweet
- Selena Gomez’s Mom Reveals True Feelings About Jelena Romance and It’s Relatable AF
- 12 Lin-Manuel Accomplishments That Helped Put Latinos on the Map
- What the Response to This Father Being Deported Reveals About the U.S.
- 10 Reasons Why Orlando Is a Great Spot for Couple’s Getaway
- 12 Must-Read Latina Authors, According to Lin-Manuel Miranda
- 12 Tips For Eating A More Plant-Based Diet (Even If You’re Not 100% Committed Yet)
- 8 Ways to Socialize Without Drinking (If You’re In Recovery)
- Gina Rodriguez Calls Out Hollywood for Lack of Latinx Representation
- Oscar Nominations 2018: Guillermo del Toro Sweeps But Latinos Still Underrepresented in Hollywood
- I’m an American Citizen But I Still Fear Being Deported
- Catherine Zeta-Jones Responds to Whitewashing in Cocaine Godmother and It’s Total BS
- What We Can Learn From ‘Jane The Virgin’s Career Ups And Downs
- 11 Things You Need to Know About the Planned Elopement
- 8 Things I Learned About Alcoholism Since Going Into Recovery
- 12 Packing Tips From a Packing Pro
- The Best Places to Vacation in Florida That Aren’t Miami
- The ‘Despacito’ Snub Proves the Grammys Aren’t Changing With the Times
- The Situation in Puerto Rico Is About to Get So Much Worse After FEMA Cuts Aid
- What You Need to Know About “Chain Migration” & What It Actually Means
Look at all of that! Definitely a great way to start the year, I think. However, there IS a big change from the way I tracked #yearofwriting last year to the way I want to track it this year… Last year, I tracked the number of pitches (and assignments) that I received and I also tracked my word count. It turned out that I was able to write 277,889 words and sent out 92 pitches (with 16 acceptances). Although it was great to track all of that, it also took a LOT of work and that’s just not my focus this year.
Instead, I am focusing more on growing my business as a freelance writer and editor, and I want to primarily track my income. This month was really good for me because I spent 70% of my time (and had my earnings come from) my Freelance Editor gig at Brit+Co (more on that later) and the rest came from my steady freelance writing gigs (HipLatina and MamásLatinas), which is great.
How much I made: $5650
So all of that is great… EXCEPT that this is my last month as a Freelance Editor at Brit+Co. Unfortunately, I heard about a week ago that my position was being eliminated due to some budgeting issues. That’s a huge bummer and, honestly, I am kind of freaking out… But I am also still kind of processing and will likely have more to say about this in a bit. In the meantime, I’m still writing and… Trying to look forward to starting February on a less-than-stellar-but-hopefully-still-nice note.