Please subscribe to my newsletter to get writing news and updates. I don’t know how to say this other than to say it: August has been a very, very difficult month for me. It’s not because I didn’t have any work and was suffering financially (thank goodness) …
Please subscribe to my newsletter to get writing news and updates. Well, after a very successful first six months of the year in terms of pitching, I am flailing a little bit (as you will see later). Predictably, most of my time these days is taken up …
Please subscribe to my newsletter to get writing news and updates.
Hello there, May. In my fifth month of the #yearofwriting, I’ve done spectacularly well.
As I announced last month, May 1st was the start of my new Lifestyle Writer role at Romper — a part-time gig that involves writing mostly about sex, love and relationships for the millennial moms site.
It’s honestly been a joy to not only invest more time in actual writing (and get a regular paycheck) but also to write about something that I truly love and find interesting. I’ve learned a bunch and am pretty sure I will continue to do so for as long as I am with them… which I hope will be for a long time!
The only thing that hasn’t happened much, I admit, is pitching. Because I am now pretty busy between my Brit+Co Food Editor job, Romper and my other contributor roles, there’s almost no time for anything else. Still, it’s been super productive. Here goes!
What was published:
- ‘I Fell In Love With THIS Food—And It Helped Maintain My 90-Pound Weight Loss’ [Women’s Health]
- I Picked My Partner Because He Didn’t Believe In Circumcision [Ravishly]
- Why Being an Immigrant Makes a Name Change Complicated [A Practical Wedding]
- The FDA Says Kids Shouldn’t Take This Common Medicine Anymore [Mom.me]
- How Does Your Husband Compare to Other Dads Around the World? [Mom.me]
- You May Be Giving Your Toddler a Speech Delay [Mom.me]
- This Is How Often You Should Praise Your Kids [Mom.me]
- Your Toddler’s Lovey Habit Could Follow Them Into Adulthood [Mom.me]
- It’s Now Easier for Moms to Ride the Train in This City [Mom.me]
- The REAL reason why couples often look alike will shock you! [MamásLatinas]
- 6 Ways that Instagram can actually help you lose weight [MamásLatinas]
- SEE: Brazilian bride & her “bro-maids” in awesome photos [MamásLatinas]
- What Is May The 4th? It’s Very Important To ‘Star Wars’ Fans
- How Does Endometriosis Affect Sex? What You Need To Know
- The Origins Of May The 4th Will Surprise Even Seasoned ‘Star Wars’ Fans
- How To Know If You Orgasmed & What To Do If You Haven’t Yet
- What Is Anorgasmic? Not Enough People Are Talking About It
- 21 Toxic Habits You Don’t Realize Gradually Increase Your Anxiety Levels
- Are Threesomes Safe For Pregnant Women? Here’s What You Should Know
- 21 Lifestyle Changes That Can Help Reduce Anxiety
- 8 Ways Every Set Of Boobs Is Different, So Stop Comparing
- Will Rough Sex Make You Tear Again Postpartum? Here’s How To Prevent It
- How To Talk To Your Partner About Sexting, Because It Can Be Awkward
- 9 Little Habits You Didn’t Realize Could Be Signs Of Anxiety
- 13 Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Having Sex On Your Period
- 7 Beginner Zumba Mistakes All First-Timers Make & How To Fix Them
- What Is Sapiosexual? The New Term Could Affect Your Love Life
- 9 Signs You’re Not As Sexually Satisfied As You Think
- 15 Memorial Day Quotes That Help You Honor The Nation’s Fallen Heroes
- 7 Sex Positions If You Have A Bad Back Because You Shouldn’t Be In Pain
- How Pilates Helps Your Sex Life, Because Exercise Has Many Benefits
- Can A Queef Give You An Embolism? Here’s What You Should Know
My proudest moment of the month happened right at the beginning: My Weight Loss Success story published in Women’s Health! I absolutely love that magazine and website, and it was an honor to write about how I have changed my body throughout the years and the way I have been able to maintain a healthy attitude towards my weight. And, of course, my absolute favorite trick to keeping the weight off. But you’ll have to read the story to find that out, hehe.
The other great successes of my month were, of course, starting at Romper and writing a TON because of that. I blogged a bit, too, but I think the vast majority of my writing and income came from Romper.
How much I wrote: 34,450 words
How much I made: $2808
Look at those numbers! Pretty exciting, indeed.
I wrote more than 10k words and made more than $1k more in income in May, versus April. In fact, I wrote almost as much in May as I did during all of Q1. And the same goes for my income. That’s pretty impressive, and I can’t wait to see what my numbers will look like in Q2.
Pitches sent out in May: 2 (one sent to 6 publications, simultaneously)
Pitch rejections: 0
Pitch non-replies: 0
Pitch acceptances: 2 (unless you count the 5 that didn’t accept the simultaneous pitch, which you can)
Pitch reply with question: 0
Follow-ups with previous pitches: 2
Pitch rejections: 0
Pitch non-replies: 1
Pitch acceptances: 1
As I mentioned before, I didn’t get to pitch much in May… That will likely impact my income in June, which isn’t great. That’s actually something that my writing coach warned me about but, since I am lacking in time anyway, I’m okay with it for now.
Actually, what I am probably going to focus on in June is just pitching the stories that I *really* believe in. With limited time, my priorities come into a different kind of focus. I tried to pitch as much as possible before, and that worked fine… but now I can focus on pitching the stories I very much want to write and pitch them to the editors that I very much enjoy working with. We’ll see how it goes.
Please subscribe to my newsletter to get writing news and updates. Well, here we are! It’s April in my #yearofwriting adventures and I have not one but TWO big announcements, so let me start with those… 1. I started a new blog, The Cookie Dough Life! The first …
Please subscribe to my newsletter to get writing news and updates. Last month, I decided to write about what it is really like to be a freelance writer these days… As part of my commitment to the #yearofwriting, my January 2017 Writer’s Life post included all of …