March 2018 Writer’s Life: Back on the uptick [#yearofwriting]
Please subscribe to my newsletter: Self-Care For Writers.
Well, last month I had some big and annoying news to share: That I was let go from my editor job at Brit+Co and had some adjustments to make. I didn’t make nearly as much money as I had been making before, and having your income drop pretty significantly is always a bummer.
However, I’m happy to report that I am back on the uptick this month. My new gig at Oxygen is going well and I am still writing a ton for HipLatina, which is going really well. I also took on a new social media consulting job, which I hope to do a LOT more of in the future.
How much I made: $4750
Although I’m not quite at my pre-job loss totals, I’m getting pretty darn close. I didn’t even realize that I had made this much money until I added it all up, since invoicing as a freelancer comes in small bits and chunks. Sometimes I look at a paycheck and I’m like, “oh, another $150? or $500? That’s nice…” but the truth is that it really adds up!
The other thing I want to mention is that my Oxygen writing gig is very different from things I have done in the past. I mean, I have written about news before, but it’s been quite a while. For the past several years, my career has definitely veered more towards entertainment and lifestyle. And since this is news, I am not going to share much of that writing here. It just wouldn’t be timely or relevant, but if you want to read some of it… Just search my name + Oxygen.com on Google. I’m sure you won’t regret it!
So, without further ado, here’s what I wrote this month. You’ll notice VERY little general freelancing but a ton for HipLatina, which I am very happy with. I did, however, publish one of the scariest things I’ve ever written… a personal essay for The Fix on how my ambition, anxiety, and alcoholism couldn’t get along. In fact, it’s in this piece that I admit fully what happened when my alcoholism and dream job came to a full head. It wasn’t pretty but, well, I’m in a better place now.
What was published:
- Ambition, Anxiety, And Alcoholism [The Fix]
- Results Of Stephon Clark Autopsy Reveal Police Shot Him In The Back And Sides [Oxygen]
- Why Women May Be At a Higher Risk for Food and Alcohol Addictions
- 8 Fights It’s Totally Normal For You & Your Partner to Have
- Want to Try Sex Toys for Couples? Here’s How to Get Started
- 15 Whole30-Approved Latin Recipes for Healthy Eating All Year Long
- 5 Stories of Toxic Wedding Guests And What to Do About It
- The First Trailer for ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ With Lin-Manuel Miranda Is Here and We’re Excited AF
- 6 Things to Know About Latina Businesswoman Maria Contreras-Sweet
- Maker of Selena Quintanilla Tortillas Reveals How They Did It
- Two Tejanas May Become First Latinas Elected to Congress from Lonestar State
- Cardi B Thanking Her Haters for Her Success Is Why She is a Queen
- Natalie Morales & Stephanie Beatriz Open Up About Playing Queer Latinas On TV
- Emma González Tweets Support For Students Walking Out To Protest Gun Violence
- Why Jennifer Lopez Doesn’t Want to Marry Alex Rodriguez
- This New Comic Book Shares the History of Puerto Rico — And Helps The Island, Too
- Why I’m Glad My Mom Supported My Weight Loss Surgery
- How to Run Stairs Like J.Lo For a Cardio & Strength Workout
- Cardi B Says Female Hip-Hop Artists Aren’t Included in #MeToo Movement
- 5 Tips to Find Time Alone Even When You’re Coupled Up
- Travel To These 10 Retreats in Latin America to Rekindle the Spark in Your Relationship
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Shares Stories to Remind Us of Hurricane Maria’s Aftermath 6 Months Later
- Demi Lovato Opens Up About Addiction & Experiencing Suicidal Thoughts at Age 7
- Twitter Explodes After Texas Representative Proposes National Border Control Day Instead Of César Chávez Day
- Census 2020 Will Include Citizenship Question That’s Bad News for Immigrants
- How To Meet Someone If You Are Tired Of Dating Apps
- I Committed to Bullet Journaling for a Year and I’ll Never Be the Same
- Teen Girls Are Sending Parkland Shooter Nikolas Cruz Fan Mail And Love Letters In Jail
Want more? Check out all of my writing above and subscribe to my newsletter for news and updates, then follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
You must be logged in to post a comment.